Sunday, October 1, 2006

r3's X-Country Caravan: DAY 2 DOWN! (my butt still hurts)




October 13, 2006
DAY 2 DOWN! (my butt still hurts)

BREAKING NEWS:

Across 4 states today, thousands of bugs slaughtered!
In a mass annihilation today, the likes of which not seen in at least the past 3 hours, tens of thousands of bugs were killed, when a car mowed them down near their homes. The 8 hour killing spree went through four states, from Illinois, through Missouri and Iowa, before coming to an end at a Holiday Inn Express in Grand Island, Nebraska. There were no witnesses.

In other news, my butt still hurts... or continues to hurt depending on how you look at it. The idea... not my butt.

Annnnyway, so I took off at around 9am and gave up around 6:30pm.
This included me setting the clock back an hour for Central time.
I feel so... centered.

The kitties are now professional road warriors, and spent the entire 9.5 hours harassing cars going past, warming my lap and at one point, licking the steering wheel. Thanks Boo. In addition, she seemed to think that my right hand was dirty, as she proceeded to lick it for a good half hour till she hit a bone. I believe it was a metacarpal... but I might be wrong.

As for the drive...

In Concordia, MO: right on the side of the highway was a farm supplies lot (well... it was just a big field... but anyway) and a cemetery right next to it. Not a fence, not even 5 feet of grass. No nothi'n. This is what the heartland calls a "mixed use development".

Somewhere in Iowa (cause come on... does it really matter where): there was a HUGE billboard screaming "Bible Factory Outlet!!! up to 75% off!!!!”. This seems wrong & damn funny all at the same time.

As I was just about to leave Illinois: on the side of the highway was an old Pizza Hut that had gone out of buissness. The new owner, obviously local, decided that the new name for his restaurant should be welcoming yet sheek, explain the cuisine yet be slightly mysterious. So what did he call his eatery? "Dirt Cheap". No shit people... now the only thing I can wonder is... what is on the menu.

In Missouri, right outside St. Louis: there was an old Holiday Inn that now had a big sign on top: "www.hauntedhotel.org". This is all I will say about that.

All in all, the trip was very... very.. very... flat. Honestly, I thought I would be bored to pieces, but being a city girl, I have never seen so much nothing in my life! Mass acres of corn, real jumbo farming equipment and pay by the minute showers in the truck stops. Hey, it's the little things for me. I thought it was amazing. I stood out like a sore thumb at every gas station I had the pleasure of visiting... but as my friend Courtney said, "That's a good thing".

Added, more pics. All my love!!! ~rrrrr

No comments: